Alejandra Rojas

Sports aren’t just about showing which team is stronger or faster, but about revealing character and maintaining good academic standards.

Not only do sports on campus strive to maintain a perfect score record, but they also strive to have good sportsmanship. That is why Southwestern was recognized by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics as one of the top five schools in the nation in advancing character-driven intercollegiate athletics, according to results in the 2009-2010 NAIA Champions of Character Scorecard.

Various colleges were measured on their commitment to Champions of Character and earned points in each of the following categories: character training, conduct in competition, academic focus, character recognition, and character promotion.

“I feel it is a tremendous honor for all of Southwestern College, its students, athletes, coaches, staff and alumni,” said Dave Denly, director of athletics. “Something we can all be very proud of.”

This is the first year this award was given to institutions within the NAIA. This award is also based on each individual team along with the teams and coaches efforts within the Champion of Character initiative.

Denly said that every year a scorecard is filled and includes what the campus does as an institution with community service projects, total athletic department GPA’s, seminars and other events within the Champion’s of Character program put on by the NAIA.

“This is something all coaches and athletes need to be proud of, and we will continue to try to do our best to live up to the five core values of the NAIA and the Champion of Character initiative, respect, integrity, responsibility, servant leadership and sportsmanship,” he said.

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.