By Avree Sheppard

Although classes will not be in session, there will be a variety of activates to fill the day. Wednesday Sept 19 is the first assessment day of the year. It will be spent to educated students and faculty. A host of workshops and seminars will go on throughout the day, each one being 30-45 minutes long, and are opened to anyone who is interested.

Seminar session will held in Beech 104. A list of classes and instructors goes as is:

8:15 Getting ready for the GRE; Dr. Terry Barnett and Dr. Ed Loeb

9:00 Writing a personal statement; Dr. Tammy McEwen

9:45 Careers in Allied Health; Dr. Rick Cowlishaw

10:30 Summer Research Experiences; Dr. Michael Tessner and Dr. Bob Gallup

11:15 What is Graduate School; Dr. Patrick Ross

The last seminar of the day will be held at 6. It is a special presentation from alumni Dr. Beth Erickson Foster. She graduated from SC in 1999. Her presentation is titled “From College Life to Real Life.” She will be discussing the lessons she learned while being a student at Southwestern and how it prepared her for the rigors of veterinary school and the reality of life on the outside.

The newest addition to assessment day will be a group called 1 in 4. Member Avree Sheppard, Nakia Smith, Jessie Riggs, and RJ Schnack will be speaking to students about sexual assault. The women will speak in the auditorium from 8:30-9:30 am followed by the men from 10-11am. This group was put together by Dan Falk who got the programs from the book “Ending Rape through peer education: Men’s and Women’s programs.” Falk feels that it will be a great way to educate students about sexual assault , and learn about it first hand from their peers.

Avree Sheppard is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at avree.sheppard@sckans.edu.