ABOVE: Brad Andrews, President of Southwestern College, speaks about the fundraising plan. The college live-streamed the speech on the 77 Steps. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)

By Lauren Sieh

It’s official and it’s now.

On Feb. 25 at 6:30 p.m., Southwestern College officially launched the FORWARD / NOW campaign.

From information from the official page, the campaign seeks to “strengthen our college’s ability to attract, retain and graduate people of high character – people who are committed to making the world a brighter and better place.”

Patrick Wagner, vice president for institutional advancement, said, “We’re moving forward. The priorities in the FORWARD / NOW campaign will make an immediate improvement to the experience of students right now. These projects will enhance our ability to recruit and retain future builders.”

With less than a year left to meet it’s goal, FORWARD / NOW has already raised $9.3 million out of the $12 million goal.

The $12 million will help start six projects on campus.

• Establishing a premier learning space in each academic building
  • Growing the Builder Fund
  • Developing an interdisciplinary Honors Program
  • Building the Bruce DeHaven Athletic Center
  • Opening a center for career and vocation
  • Investing in residence hall renovations

Wagner said the college has identified learning spaces in each academic building.

“We will transform underutilized spaces in each academic building on campus into innovative, engaging and research-rich educational environments.”

By contributing to the Builder Fund, it is investing in engaging, empowering and inspiring students, faculty and staff. The donations will also help with unexpected situations that happen throughout the year.

Brad Andrews, president of Southwestern College, said, “Establishing a dedicated and focused college-wide Honors Program at Southwestern will offer opportunities for highly motivated students to dive deeper into their academic interests and curiosities. Simultaneously will develop connection and community between students across the academic divisions. Rooted in the tradition of the liberal arts, the Honors Program will draw on innovative approaches to teaching and learning.”

The campaign already achieves one of its goals, as it opened the Career Center in the south wing of the Deets Library in the fall of 2019.

The Bruce DeHaven Athletic Center will be built just north of the Jantz Stadium to honor Alum Bruce DeHaven.

Wagner said, “The new DeHaven Center will create much-needed athletic space alleviating pressure on existing facilities, and it will add the energy and strength to southwestern athletics.”

Last, the campaign strives to renovate some of the residence halls. Particular residence halls were not stated during the live stream.