By Dru Pelter

The women’s tennis team played in their invitational match on Friday. Southwestern College placed first in four, five, and six singles, and they also placed third in two and three doubles. Jason Speegle, head coach, had some words before the match. He said, “We’ve been preparing all fall. We have a lot of new players so as coaches we have to figure out what they’re good at and what they need work on. Some players come off of summers where they don’t play a lot of tennis due to work and other responsibilities. Some of the fall has been trying to shake a little rust off and getting more consistent on all of our shots.”

Speegle also talked about the progression of the team and how it’s becoming more apparent every day. He said, “Everyone has become better and the team become more cohesive. The fall is a shortened version of a season and we use it to try to see where we’ll be in the spring.” Speegle praised his team saying, “I love our kids, I think they’re all special individuals and I consider them to be an extension of my family. They’re just fun to be around and we’ve got a good group of student athletes that love to be at Southwestern, love to play tennis, and love to do well in the classroom so you can’t ask for more than that.”

Sara Peck, biology senior, had some words to share about preparation for this week. She said, “This week’s focus was really about boosting energy and making sure everyone is moving their feet.” Peck also talked about her pregame ritual. Tons of athletes have a routine they go through leading up to their competition. Peck’s ritual is very interesting, it could be looked at as team building or satisfying everyone’s hunger. She said, “Usually before every match I like to bring cookies for the team.”

Abby Gengler, business finance senior, talked about the team and how much the team has progressed. She said, “There’s a definite change from the beginning of the fall to the end of the fall, sometimes it’s hard to get out during the summer and so coming in you’re a little bit rusty and as the fall goes along you get better.” Abby also explained her favorite part of playing at Southwestern. She said, “My favorite part is playing doubles matches. I get to play with a really great girl and we have a lot of fun together. And just getting to know everyone on the team is fun.”

Dru Pelter is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email him at dru.pelter@sckans.edu