By Kyle Killgore

Southwestern snaps a two game losing streak with a win 88-74 in North Newton, after jumping up on the Threshers early in the game.

The Builder’s ran out to a big lead early after six unanswered baskets. Southwestern seemed to be scoring at will going into the break with a 27 point lead.

Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach was pleased with his team’s effort. “I felt we played a great first half,” said O’Brien.

The Threshers refused to lie down early in the second half going on a 16-3 run just after the break. The Builder’s didn’t help their cause shooting only 1-6 from the free throw line in that stretch.

“We lost some focus,” said O’Brien, “we didn’t play as well down the stretch.”

Late in the game, Bethel on the verge of a comeback, several fouls were called that slowed the pace of play down tremendously. Four technical fouls were called within a 30 second stretch.

“It’s part of the game of basketball,” said William Tisdale, sophomore guard, “the losing team will always have some animosity.”

Bethel wasn’t able to get close enough to cause a threat. The Threshers drew the lead within 12, but that’s as close as they were able to get.

With the win tonight, Southwestern clinches their bid in the post season tournament.

“We came into this game thinking that this could have been the season ending game,” said Tisdale, “I’m proud of my guys.”

Alex Tyler, junior guard, agrees “We could have ended up fifth or ninth, tonight,” said Tyler.

The Builders will finish their conference schedule on the road at Saint Mary’s on Saturday. The Spires came out with a win when the two faced earlier in the season in Winfield, 61-70.

“We believe we hurt ourselves that game,” said Tisdale, “If we want to come out and beat that team, we will beat that team.”

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communications. You may email him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu.