Jared Irvin, junior guard, stunned the fans at Wilson Field House Saturday with a buzzer-beating shot that lifted the Builders past Ottawa 68-65. With three seconds left, Irvin inbounded the ball to Ethan Randolph, junior forward, who passed it back to Irvin to launch a 25-foot jumper that hit nothing but net.

Irvin’s shot also improved their record to 5-7 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 13-8 overall. The Braves dropped to 6-16 and 3-9 in conference play.

Southwestern found themselves in a back and forth battle throughout against the last-place team in the KCAC. The Builders led by just two at halftime 27-25.

With the score tied at 65 and the Builders with possession of the ball and only a few seconds left in regulation, Randolph nearly dribbled the ball off of his foot and out of bounds. Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach, called a timeout before the turnover occurred, allowing the Builders one last shot with three seconds left.

Irvin only hit two of eight shots during the night, but both shots were three pointers late in the game when his team needed it most. He finished with eight points.

The Builders hit 41.1 percent of their shots and improved greatly from the free throw line, hitting 17-24 foul shots.

The Braves struggled offensively despite keeping pace with their opposition for most of the game.  They shot just 37.7 from the field and 30.8 percent from beyond the arch.

Randolph and David King, senior center, combined for 40 of their team’s 68 points. Both had 20 on the night and Randolph also snatched eight rebounds.

The Builder’s next game tips off at 8 p.m. Feb. 3 at Bethel College in Newton.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.