The Builders won their second straight game on Saturday as they took out the Bethany College Swedes 77-76 in Lindsborg.

The Builders opened up by scoring the first six points, but the Swedes answered by going on an 8-0 run.  Both teams shifted momentum throughout the rest of the first half and with 1:12 left in the half the Builders found themselves down 36-30.  Justin Diggles, senior guard, would go on to score the final five points of the half, capping off a 9-0 Builder run to narrow the deficit to 36-35 going into the locker rooms.

The Builders went into halftime shooting 48 percent from the field, while Bethany shot 50 percent.  The Swedes also outrebounded the Builders 18-13 in the first half.

The game remained close and competitive right up to the final seconds of the game as the Builders found themselves down 76-75 with 16 seconds left in regulation. Diggles proceeded to drive to the basked and put up a shot. His shot was off target, but Diggles rebounded his own miss and put it up and in to give the Builders the edge with four seconds left. He went on to make a huge defensive play on the next possession, swatting the ball out of the hands of C.J. Littlejohn, Bethany senior guard, to secure the win for the Builders.

“We were fortunate enough to have the basketball in Justin’s hands and have him on defense too,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach. “The players out there, they win the game. You’ve got to get Justin Diggles the ball at the end of the game.”

Diggles finished with 19 points,  hitting 9-13 from the field. Four other Builder players scored in double digits.

“I’m just pleased with our guys tonight,” said O’Brien. “Maybe we’re just going to peak at the perfect time in the season. I hope so.”

The Builders’ next game starts at 8 p.m. Jan. 21 at home against Kansas Wesleyan.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.

I’m just pleased with our guys tonight

maybe we’re just going to peak at the perfect time in the season, I hope s