Chris Nelson, senior forward, lays one in as the one Wildcats player looks on. The Builders defeated Johnson & Wales University 109-91. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

After losing against Haskell Indian Nations last week, the Builder men’s basketball team managed to pull it together and win against Johnson and Wales University. The Builders came out hard and continued to work hard throughout the entire game.

“The Haskell game affected us a lot. We had a lot to play for. We expected everything, it was just a matter of stopping it,” said James Davis, senior guard.

The Builders were down 10 in the first half, and continued to work hard to gain a lead against the Wildcats. Southwestern came out with better chemistry and energy to hold the lead during the second half.

“The passion and Unity that we showed in the second half was positive, I hope we can build on that heading into conference play,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach.

“We decided to fight harder and continue to fight harder through the end,” said William Tisdale, freshman forward.

“I didn’t expect them to fold at the end. I thought they would continue to fight hard but they didn’t,” said Jared Irvin, senior guard.

RJ Jarrett, senior guard, Koury Clayton, junior forward, Chris Nelson, senior forward, Ethan Randolph, senior forward and Davis dominated the court with great plays and great energy. Nelson passed Jarrett a no look pass which resulted in a great alley hoop.

“I think we need to work on our defense and taking more charges,” said Davis. “On the defensive end, our closeouts need a lot of work along with our communication on defense. There were a few possessions when we did not know who we were guarding,” said O’Brien.

The builders won 109-91 and will play Ozark Christian College at 7 p.m. Nov. 14th in Stewart Field House.

Bria Boykins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at bria.boykins@sckans.edu.