James Davis, senior guard, calls for a play. Davis finished with six points during his last home game. The Builders fell to the Swedes 66-64.

It was senior night and all of the lights were on the senior players at Stewart Field House Thursday night. The Builders took on the Bethany College Swedes. The Swedes arrived to Stewart Field House with a 7-10 record in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. The Builders fell to the Swedes 66-64 in the last nine seconds of the game.

“It was a tough game and we wanted to give the seniors a last victory,” said Alex Tyler, sophomore guard. “We need to beat Bethel on Saturday to go to conference.”

The Builders jumped to the court with, R.J. Jarrett, senior guard, James Davis, senior guard, Tyler Shirley, sophomore guard, Ethan Randolph, senior forward, and Jared Irvin, senior guard.

Bethany was the first team to take possession of the ball. On their first play, just 17 seconds into the game, they scored the first two points of the night. Randolph scored the first two for the Builders. The Builders quickly took the lead as Irvin scored a three pointer to put the score 9-4 in the fifth minute. The Swedes tied the game 11-11 when the clock marked 13 minutes to go. Three minutes after, the Builders were up 15-13.

The two-point difference was a masterpiece of Koury Clayton, junior forward, who dunked the ball. Little after this, the Swedes flipped the coin to go up by seven points when the clock marked two minutes to play. On the second to last play for the first half, Irvin scored a three pointer to give his team a one point lead. The Swedes responded quickly to this with a field goal making the score 31-30. Randolph was fouled and went to the free throw-line. He missed his first shot and made his second one to tie the game at 31 at halftime.

The Builders came out to the second half fired up and ready to win. Jarrett proved this as nine seconds into the second half he dunked the ball to put the Builders up by two. This basket pumped the crowd who began cheering for the Builders. The game turned back and forth for both teams. Davis got a turnover and scored a layup to put the Builders up by seven.

With ten minutes remaining until the last buzzer the Builders were pressuring up top. The Swedes tied the game up at 60 with three minutes to play.

Both teams were playing intensely and the Swedes demonstrated they were up when they broke the tie game by one 64-63 with a two-pointer. Shirley intercepted the ball in the Swede’s court side with only 14 seconds to go.

The coaches made four consecutive time outs throughout the final minutes, two for each coach and the Builders had the last play. Davis was to take the ball out but he ran out of time and the team lost possession of the ball. Then Jarrett fouled to make the Swedes go to the free-throw line. They scored both and the score was now 66-63. With only 2.1 seconds remaining, Clayton went to the line scoring the first free-throw and missed the second one. This made the final score to be 66-64 for the Swedes.

Clayton finished leading the team in scoring with 21 points. Jarrett followed him with 12 points and Randolph ended with 11 points. The Builders attempted 67 field goals and made 27, as well as they shot 13 times from the three-point line and make four of them.

“We are a family. We need to stick together in the good and bad,” said Shirley. This now puts the Builders at 9-8 in the KCAC and they are on a six game losin streak. The Builders will finish the regular season at Bethel College on Feb. 18.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.