The Moundbuilder basketball team will arrive to the last game of the regular season with the hopes of winning and making it to the playoffs after falling 84-63 to Ottawa. Southwestern stands seventh in the conference with a 7-10 record.

Southwestern was down in the scoreboard since the tip-off and could not flip the coin around. By halftime, the Braves were demolishing the Builders with 44 points to a timid 19 points scored by Southwestern.

For the second half, the Builders scored 44 points, but it was not enough as the Braves put in 40 more.

Alex Tyler, senior guard, was the all scorer for the Builders with 22 points. Tyler was two points shy from tying the top scorer for the night, Ottawa’s Julian Rose. Tyler led Southwestern assists with three. William Tisdale, junior forward, rebounded seven times.

The Builders will make it to the conference tournament regardless of the result next Saturday against McPherson. Southwestern will play either Sterling or Friends in the tournament. It all comes to the last day.

In order to play Sterling, the Builders must win and Sterling must fall to Kansas Wesleyan. Having Southwestern and Friends lose, and Sterling winning, will ensure the Builders facing Sterling. The Warriors received votes for the latest NAIA national poll.

If the team losses to McPherson, the Bulldogs will climb to the seventh spot dropping the Builders to the last available place for the conference championship playoffs. The Builders will then play No. 23 NAIA ranked Friends Falcons. If Friends stumble against Tabor and Sterling falls, the Builders will secure a game against Friends.

Despite the scenario, Southwestern will face a tough opponent in the conference championship bracket. The men’s basketball team will try and close the season strong and give their seniors a good farewell on their last game Feb. 22 . Senior night will tip-off at 7 p.m. inside Stewart Field House.

Angel Vadillo is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.