Cass Meyers, senior running back avoids a tackle from a Northwestern player. The Builders fell to their nationally ranked opponents. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

By Morgan Givney

The Builder football team faced tough opposition in their season opener Saturday from the nationally ranked Red Raiders from Northwestern Iowa. The Builders gave a good effort but ended up falling short to the Raiders 47-13.

The game started with two rushing touchdowns carried in by Northwestern’s Brandon Smith, junior running back, in the first quarter. The Builders answered with two field goals completed by Austin Ledy, making the score 14-6 Northwestern at the end of the first quarter.

Northwestern came out with a quick touchdown in the second quarter with 14:19 on the clock, but the Builders retaliated with a 57 yard pass from Jordan Barrett to Cody Melby for a touchdown with the clock at 14:06. This kept the Builders in the game with a score of 21-13 Northwestern.

The game was delayed after halftime due to lightening, however, the Red Raiders continued to control the scoreboard for the remainder of the game completing one touchdown pass and gaining three more rushing touchdowns resulting in a win over the Builders.

Despite the loss, Jordan Barrett, junior quarterback, said “I felt like we were really prepared for the game, I don’t think we saw anything we weren’t ready for.”

Wayne Clutter, senior wide receiver, agreed with Barrett saying that he also felt well prepared for the game.

“From the things we worked on in practice, our route running, quick game, and special teams were executed well” said Clutter.

The Builders short game set up two long pass plays, one reception by Cody Melby for a 57 yard touchdown in the second quarter, and a 44 yard pass to Clutter.

“Northwestern was a very good football team,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach. “We wanted to be able to face and know we can play against and compete with (Northwestern),” a team the builders could potentially run into in the playoffs.

“Offensively we need to work on finishing drives,” said Barrett. “This was a good first game for us; we see the areas we need to improve on to play Bethel next week.”

“We need to improve on pass protection, run blocking, and finishing” said Clutter.

Coach Crandall said they will be ready to face their next opponent .The Builders next game is at 7 p.m. Sept. 10 at Bethel College in North Newton.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.