Just three points shy the men’s basketball team fell short of advancing to the KCAC semifinals. The Builders ended their aspirations of battling for the title when they lost to their rival, Friends 55-52.

The intensity the Builders played with in the first half reflected on the scoreboard. Southwestern was never down in the score, and even had a six point lead on the Falcons. Through the end of the first half, the Falcons caught up the Builders by a 14-6 run and wrapped up a 30-30 tie that sent both teams to the locker rooms.

Leading scorer in the nation, Friends’ Joe Mitchell put up 21 points.

Southwestern struggled to stop Friends’ offense and fell 12 points behind when the clock marked 10 minutes remaining in the game. The Builders gave all they had on Alex Tyler, senior guard, and Tyler Shirley, senior guard, last game wearing the Builders’ jersey.

Southwestern was down by seven points with three minutes remaining. The team scored five back-to-back points and positioned themselves two points apart from achieving what seemed impressive.

Unluckily, the Falcons put up three last points that smashed all of the Builder’s hopes of defeating the No. 1 seed in the bracket and advancing to the semifinals.

Despite losing, Southwestern found a way to shut down, 20 points under their season average, the most powerful offense in the conference.

Cameron Clark, sophomore forward, led the Builders’ scorers with 17 points. William Tisdale, junior forward, had a game-high of 10 rebounds and 14 points, and Bryan Lipsey, sophomore guard, ended with 12 points. The Builders shot 37 percent from the floor and 30 percent from long-range. Southwestern make 12 out of 16 free throws.

The Builders end their 2013-14 season with an 18-13 overall record in the NAIA and 7-11 in the conference.

Angel Vadillo is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.