Joey Pataki, sophomore wide reciever, runs after a catch during the first quarter of Southwestern's 51-0 loss against Ottawa University Saturday. The Builders dropped to 1-4 on the season and 1-3 in KCAC play. Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer.

After having all three of their losses of the season be within eleven points or less, Southwestern fell 51-0 against the Ottawa Braves Saturday afternoon. It was not only the worst loss of the season, but came after a week of festivities for Homecoming. The loss dropped the Builders to 1-4 overall and 1-3 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play.

The Builders won the opening coin toss and decided to take the ball first into a strong wind that blew throughout Richard L. Jantz Stadium. The offense looked potent on its first possession, driving down the field in nine plays, but failing to produce any points.

Ottawa, on the other hand, was quick to use the wind to their advantage and put up 24 points in the first quarter. Among the scoring plays were a one-yard touchdown run by Bobby Adamson, junior quarterback, and a nine-yard scamper by Clarence Anderson, junior wide-reciever, into the end zone.

The second quarter did not go much better for Southwestern as the score remained 24-0 at the half. The Builders were able to make plays as Terrence Royals, junior defensive back, intercepted Adamson and the special teams blocked a field goal, but the offense produced just 23 yards in the quarter and no points.

Shane Gizmo, sophomore wide receiver, capped off the longest drive of the game with 5:22 left in the third quarter as he ran the ball in from nine yards out to give Ottawa a 31-0 lead. The drive consisted of 13 plays for 80 yards and ate up 5:11 off of the clock.

Three fourth quarter touchdowns sealed the win for Ottawa as they improved to 4-1 on the year, 3-1 in the KCAC.

After putting up 43 points the previous week, the Builder offense managed just 184 yards of total offense. The running game, which had been the team’s strong point, accumulated 48 yards on 41 carries.

Jordan Barrett, sophomore quarterback, completed six of 17 passes for 59 yards and threw two interceptions before he suffered an injury late in the second quarter. Brady May, sophomore quarterback, played the entire second half and struggled, completing seven of 22 passes for 77 yards and two interceptions.

The team turned the ball over five times compared to Ottawa’s one turnover.

Southwestern has a bye week this upcoming week and will return to play at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 16 on the road against the Bethany Swedes in Lindsborg.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.