By Kyle Killgore

The final game of a three game road trip is a wild one for Southwestern’s men’s basketball team, but they finish the series with an overtime win in Ottawa.

The Builders defeated Ottawa University 96-92 in overtime at Wilson Field House in Ottawa. This game was set to be who could score faster as both teams shot above 45 percent from the field.

Early in the first half the Builders jumped out to an 11 point lead. That disappeared after a 9-0 run by the Braves with 5:00 to go in the first half. Alex Tyler, junior guard, hit a 2-point field goal to go up by one just before the half expired.

The Builders led by five most of the second half, but the Braves tied the game at 74 with six minutes remaining in regulation. Both teams were matching each other’s shots to keep the game close. Regulation ended with a score of 85-85.

William Tisdale, sophomore guard, and Cameron Clark, freshman forward, both made field goals early in the overtime period to go up 89-85. Chase Dippel, senior guard, and Julian Rose, junior guard, for Ottawa sank field goals to tie the game back at 89. Clark makes another basket to go up 91-89, and Ottawa was not able to tie the game after that point.

“We couldn’t win it in regulation, but we just had to come out and work hard for five more minutes and get a great win,” said Taylor Johnson, freshman guard.

Clark and Johnson led the builders with 20 points each. Clark also filled the stat sheet with 12 rebounds for his second double-double in as many games.

Ottawa was visibly a much larger team than the Builders, but collectively, the Builders out-rebounded the Braves 50-39. “We came in today saying we don’t want to get outworked by anybody, so we crashed the glass hard,” said Clark.

The Braves had to find alternative options for their scoring, as their leading scorer, Dippel, was limited to nine points on the night by the defense of Tyler and Larry Vasquez, sophomore guard. “I know he’s a great shooter I knew they were always going to try and set screens for him so I just had to push him past the screen,” said Tyler.

Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach, was pleased with the victory. “It was encouraging to come in here and play a pretty great team that is making shots,” said O’Brien, “This is one of our better games of the season, this is one of our better efforts. This is one of the tougher places to play and they’re so big and so physical.”

The Builders finish their road trip 2-1 and come back to Stewart Field House Saturday to face off against Bethel College. “They have young athletes and good basketball players and they’ve been giving guys fits. They’re a very good 0-7 team and it’s not going to be an easy game for us,” said O’Brien.

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communications. You may email him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu.