By Rodney Marner

There was no struggle on offense this week as the Builders scored a touchdown on the opening play of the game against Haskell Indian Nations University Saturday. A 51-yard touchdown passes from Brady May, sophomore quarterback, to Ceth Bannister, sophomore wide receiver, put the team up a few seconds into the game. They continued to roll, scoring 58 unanswered points to finish the game with a final score of 65-0. They completely dominated in all facets of the game.

This was the first win at Richard L. Jantz Stadium. “It felt great to hear that fight song,” said Ken Crandall, head coach.

The passing was lead by May, who had nine completions for 221 yards and three touchdowns. May started the game and had a more successful night than the previous week at Sterling.

Corey Holbert, senior running back, led the way in the running game with 127 yards on 13 carries and two touchdowns.

The surprise at running back was Michael Haynes Jr., freshman running back. He had 60 yards on five carries and two touchdowns, doing great in his opportunities when he got the chance to run. “I feel like I played well, those two touchdowns felt sweet especially because they were my first two collegiate touchdowns,” said Haynes Jr.

The defense played great in the game, shutting out the Indians.

The defense had three interceptions in the game. Lorenzo Fouts, sophomore defensive back, Ttorbin Harper, sophomore linebacker, and Kody Shields, freshman defensive back all had an interception in the game. Fouts returned his for a touchdown, but a celebration penalty brought it back. “It felt great to get my first career collegiate interception, I thought I was going to take it to the house,” said Shields.

The special teams even got involved late, when Fouts returned a punt for a 76-yard touchdown. This time there was no celebration by Fouts and the touchdown counted.
A great thing was to see the youth of the team get to play in this game. They not only played but played well.

The team will face a tougher challenge for next week’s game. The game will be at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 8. at Richard L. Jantz Stadium versus Ottawa University. This will be Southwestern’s homecoming game.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.