Lorenzo Fouts, freshman defensive back, runs the ball on the opening punt return against Friends during play Saturday at Richard L. Jantz Stadium. The Builders lost to the Falcons 20-17. Carly Budd/Collegian Photographer

For 59 minutes and 49 seconds of Saturday’s game versus Friends University, the Builders had the lead. With 11 seconds remaining on the clock, Jayme Bristow, sophomore quarterback, hit Cody Butts, sophomore tight end, for a five-yard touchdown to give Friends the 20-17 win and send Southwestern football to a 0-3 record on the season. The score capped off a long drive by the Falcons in which the Builders had 60 yards worth of penalties. It was the second game of the season in which the team has lost to their opponent by five points or less.

The Builders opened up the scoring at Richard L. Jantz Stadium with an electrifying three-play, 58-yard drive capped off with a Michael Coppock, senior running back, touchdown run.

Friends answered with a 40-yard catch and run by Mike Hyde, senior wide receiver, for a touchdown. Following a botched extra point, the scoreboard at the end of the first quarter read 7-6 Southwestern.

Coppock continued to make plays for the Builders as he ran in another long touchdown midway through the second quarter to extend the Builder lead to eight. Coppock injured his foot during the third quarter of action and was out for the remainder of the game, but still managed to post 105 yards on 12 carries.

The Builders kept their lead at halftime and went into the locker rooms up 14-6.

Austin Ledy, sophomore kicker, added to the Builder lead in the third quarter as he connected on a 30-yard field goal. The score gave the Builders an 11-point lead going into the final quarter.

Friends did not give up as Brett Goerzen, senior running back, punched the ball in from six yards out, capping off an 8-play, 75-yard drive. Bristow attempted to run the ball in on the ensuing play for the two-point conversion, but was snuffed out by the Builder defense, making the score 17-12 Southwestern with 10:52 remaining in the game.

The Builder offense failed to put up any points in the final quarter, opening up the door for the Falcon offense to drive down the field with approximately five minutes remaining. The Friend’s score and two point conversion gave them the lead with 11 seconds left. The game ended on a short pass from Jordan Barrett, sophomore quarterback, to Joey Pataki, sophomore wide receiver in the open field.

The Builders had 13 penalties during the game for 141 yards. They were also outgained by the Falcons first downs 23-11.

The offense for Southwestern did have its bright spots as well. They outgained Friends in rushing yards 163-86 and averaged 5.6 yards per rushing attempt.

The Builder defense also played strong, racking up seven quarterback sacks on the night and forcing Friends into 17 third down attempts.

Southwestern football’s next game kicks off at 1:30 p.m. against the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.