By capitalizing off turnovers and mental errors by the Coyotes, Southwestern cruised past Kansas Wesleyan University Thursday night in Stewart Field House 60-42. The game featured a high amount of energy despite low scoring. 34 total turnovers were committed as well as 44 fouls between the teams.

Despite only leading by two at the break, the Builders came out strong in the second half. The Coyotes tied the score at 30 early on in the second, but the Builders would dominate from there on out. A three point basket by Stuart Ballard, senior forward, swung the momentum in their favor and kick-started their second half domination.

Ethan Randolph, junior forward, led the Builders in both points and rebounds, putting up 19 and grabbing eight rebounds. Jared Irvin, junior guard, also had a big night with 12 points and five assists.

Both teams struggled offensively throughout the game. Kansas Wesleyan shot just 29.2 percent from the field compared to the Builders 36.5. The Coyotes also did not hit a shot from beyond the arch, going 0-12. They were outscored 40-24 in the second half.

The win snapped a two-game slide and saved the Builders from dropping to a tie for last in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. They are 12-8 on the season and 4-7 in conference play.

The Coyotes fell to 4-7 in the KCAC and 7-14 overall.

The Builders next game takes place at 7 p.m. Saturday in Ottawa.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.