Desiree’ Shipp, freshman infielder, bats Monday during the Lady Builders’ double header against the Hillsdale Free Will Baptist Saints. The team won 20-0 in its first game and 14-0 in the second game. The women’s record currently stands at 3-9. (Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer)

By Samantha Gillis

As the crowd was scooting to the edge of their seats Nicole Wilson, senior utilities, was calm and collected at the plate. It was a classic bottom of the seventh two runners on situation, with two strikes against her, Wilson drove a screamer down the middle in between short stop and second base, advancing the runner on third. The Builders won their first game of the season 2-1 against Hastings College on Friday at the Broadway Sports Complex.  

Southwestern College came back with a vengeance, after dropping the first game to the Broncos 2-0. With Rachel Ratcliffe, junior pitcher, on the mound the Builders were able to hold the Broncos for the first four innings.  As the game wound down the Builder’s intensity increased. When the seventh inning rolled around the Builders had two players on base and Wilson was up.

Amber Good, head coach, wasn’t worried about the tight predicament. She said she knew all they needed was a base hit. “Nicole (Wilson) is one of the best players to have in that situation. She came through for us,” Good said.

Snatching the win verifies Good’s point, when she said the team was improving. “I’ve seen a big difference between the team that has played the last two days and the team that we started off with. They are doing a great job communicating and great job keeping each other up,” she said.

The Builders played Baker University on Thursday in Baldwin City, Kan. Good said it was the best two games the team played. “We played hard and close with a team that run ruled us the weekend before,” she said. SC lost both games 4-6 and 5-6.

The Builders are currently 1-9. The next time they step onto the field again is at 2 and 4 p.m. on Monday in Moore Okla., against Hillsdale Free Will Baptist College.

Samantha Gillis is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.