By Rodney Marner
Staff writer

The Builders failed to convert. The offense for the Builder football team continued the woes they have by not scoring in the first half of their game against Friends University Saturday in Wichita. They only had four first downs to the 15 of the Falcons. They came alive in the second half scoring 17 points, but they came up short 27-17 moving to 1-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 2-5 overall.

The defense forced a fumble early and made the Falcons turn it over on downs by stopping them on fourth down. But it wasn’t enough to keep the Falcons off of the scoreboard as the Falcons scored 24 points to the Builder’s zero to end the first half. “We just did not produce in the first half, our coach did a good job of waking us up for the second half,” said Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker.

The team had a great start to the second half as Lorenzo Fouts, sophomore defensive back, returned the kickoff to the 50-yard line, but on the first offense play of the second half Brady May, redshirt sophomore quarterback, threw it short and the pass ended up being intercepted. That would be May’s second interception of the game.

The defense made a big play with 12:50 remaining in the third quarter by holding the Falcons on fourth down and taking over at the 42-yard line. ” We have been a second half team all year,” said Terrence Royals, senior defensive back.

The offense looked like a totally different team to start the second half. They moved the ball much better. “We made some changes, listened to our coaching and things began to click for us,” said Spencer Pullen, freshman running back.

Builder special teams did not struggle on Saturday, they sniffed out a fake field in the first half and a fake punt in the second half.

They had their own tricks up their sleeves by doing a fake field goal of their own and converting to continue one of the best drives of the game. “We just pulled out all the stops. That is something you have to do in a big rivalry game to get that win,” said Royals.

They finished that drive off with a touchdown. May passed to Adam Hilker, senior tight end, for a six yard touchdown pass to convert on third down.

Joe Vargas, sophomore wide receiver, has a good punt return for 40 yards, but a block in the back in back penalty nullified the play.

The defense played much better in the second half, not allowing the Falcons to score or move the ball at all in third quarter.

May completed a pass to Vargas on fourth down to keep a Builder drive alive, the builders failed to punch it in to the end zone and had to settle for a field goal making the score 24-10 in favor of the Falcons.

On the ensuing kick-off the Builders tried to be sneaky by doing a pooch kick and recover it. The Builders recovered the ball on the Falcons 46-yard line.”I asked Austin Ledy, senior kicker, if he could give me a pooch kick, he said he could and we executed it perfectly,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach.

Builders scored again on a huge fourth down play. May completed another pass to Vargas, this time for a touchdown, making the score 24-17 Falcons with nine minutes left in the game.

The Falcons forced Builders to a three in out, but the sneakiness of the Builders continued and they did a fake punt and convert once again, but could not do anything with the drive and had to punt.

The falcons blocked the punt and had the ball at the Southwestern 10-yard line. Southwestern forced Friends to attempt a field goal and the Falcons miss giving the Builders one more chance to tie the game.

On a third down and nine to go, May was sacked for an eight-yard loss with ball on the Builder 12-yard line. On fourth down and 18 for the Builders, May threw it deep to Cody Melby, senior wide receiver, but the pass fell incomplete.

The Falcons would go on to kick another field goal and go up 27-17. The Builders get one last possession and May threw his third interception to end the game. “I was very proud of the way they came out in the second half and played, just started the run too late,” said Crandall.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.