As part of a nationwide effort in support of the United Nations Foundation’s Nothing But Nets campaign, Southwestern College will be taking donations at a basketball game to raise funds to send life-saving anti-malarial bed nets to Africa. 

The event will take place at Southwestern’s men’s and women’s basketball games against Kansas Wesleyan University on Saturday, Feb. 1, at 5 and 7 p.m. inside Stewart Field House.

Long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets are one of the most cost-effective methods of preventing malaria, a leading killer of African children. They create a protective barrier against mosquitoes at night, when the vast majority of malaria transmissions occur. 

One bed net can protect a family of four, and lasts up to five years.  It costs just $10 to purchase, deliver, and educate the recipient on its proper use. 

Fans paying for a $10 net will also be admitted free into the games.  An anonymous donor will match each $10 donation.  Then that $20 will be matched by the United Methodist Committee on Relief; Bill Gates and Bill Clinton will then match that $40. 

So at the end of the night, each $10 donation will equal $80 for Imagine No Malaria.

“We have already saved hundreds of thousands of lives,” says Dick Wilke, bishop in residence at Southwestern College.  “Can you imagine a world without malaria? Our goal is to stamp out malaria. Each net will save a life.”