By Hayley Weston-McClain

Builder volleyball returned late Saturday with two more wins under their belt. They traveled to Huston-Tillostion, Austin. It was a long trip but they were excited for some Builder parents that live in Texas to be able to support the team.

“Friday night the game started slow,” said Kaley Rodriguez senior defensive specialists. “But we stepped our game up and finished the match strong.” After playing Rams on Friday, the Builders went back Saturday to play again. This time the goal was to win the first three matches, like they knew they could.

Houston-Tillostion is used to seeing the best of the best. The teams that they play are fast, and have a lot of skill. “Our speed didn’t surprise them,” said Donnie Wallace, head coach. They were not at a skill level higher than what the girls will see this season in conference play.

The team wanted to play in Texas, so that the families who can’t travel to Southwestern to watch the games can support them for a couple of games. This also helped them boost their record.

The girls want to “Beat teams out of the gym with their serves,” said Rodriguez.  “We have had a lot of ace serves, and our serve is strong.” This will help them win when they play a KCAC team. If they happen to lose, the goal is to end up splitting with them.

“The team goal is to be as good as we can be,” said Wallace. They are a young team and could have up to five freshmen on the court at any time. “Everybody has a passion for the game, and every position has their own contribution to the team” said Rachel Vieyra, freshmen setter.

Jordan Stalder, senior outside hitter, has stepped up this season. Watching her play and her statistics will show that she is a great over all player. Freshmen setters Rachel Vieyra and Jacqueline Erlanson have stepped up as well and Ashley Schoenhofer, freshmen middle hitter, “Has really had a break-through,” said Wallace.

“We have a long way to go,” said Wallace. Rodriguez also said, “Once we get the little things on offense it will be unstoppable.” The girls mesh together well, and have fun together.  They hope everyone will come support them when they bring it home for their next game on Tuesday, Sept. 11. The game will start at 7p.m., in Stewart Field House.

Hayley Weston-McClain is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at hayley.weston@sckans.edu