By Jacob Jimmerson

The Builders were back on the track this weekend at Pittsburg State University for a meet that had stiff competition. Southwestern was the smallest school at the meet and still put up some impressive results.

Mike Kirkland, head track and field coach, said, “This meet was about competing with some tougher competition and I thought we did a great job of not being intimidated out there and getting after it. I am proud of both the teams today.”

With schools such as Missouri State and Missouri Southern at the meet, it was a meet that held the toughest competition they have played this year.

The women’s side had notable finishes. Bailey Collier, athletic training sophomore, finished fifth in the high jump event with a height of 1.65 m. The 4X400 relay team had a third place finish with a time of 48.10. Which led off with Wenrick, and then Needham, next was Meyer, and then anchored by Allie Maffei, psychology junior.

Wenrick took fourth in the 400 meter dash with a time of 58.79. Needham also took fourth in the 400 meter hudles with a time of 1:02.93. Then the 4X400 relay team finished fifth with a time of 4:02.96. This leads off with Wenrick, then Needham, then Meyer, and then anchored by Allie Maffei, psychology junior.

Needham is positive on how the day went. She said, “There was definitely some bigger competition here then what we have been used to. But I thought we did a great job of letting that motivate us to do better, rather than let it scare us and effect our performance in a negative way. I am proud of the way the whole team competed today.”

A day that didn’t lead to many top finishes of the men’s side still had a freshman step up and get a personal best. Garret Britton, education freshman, finished ninth in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 56.02. He said, “It was a tough meet for us because we were missing some guys and we didn’t get as many top finished as we would like. But, I was happy with my performance in this event and I can’t wait to see how much better I can get.”

The Builders will travel to Crete, Nebraska on April 17 for the two day Jim Dutcher Memorial meet. Kirkland just wants to see everyone improve from this week. He said, “I want to see everyone get better next week. We need to start kicking it into a new gear, because conference is sneaking up on us and we need to be at our bests come then.”

Jacob Jimmerson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at jacob.jimmerson@sckans.edu