By Jacob Jimmerson

Effort is the best word to describe the Builders performance on Saturday. On a surprisingly hot day that was in the low 80s and the sun beating down on the field at Oklahoma Baptist University, both the men and women track team were able to perform at a high level.

Mike Kirkland, head track and field coach, thought the same. He said, “Our effort out there was great today. It was a little hotter than we are used to, but I thought everyone did a good job of competing out there. We really needed this meet after the break.”

Bailey Collier, athletic training sophomore, qualified for nationals with an automatic qualifying mark of 5’7 feet in the high jump, which was first place at the meet. She said, “I really focused on staying composed and taking my time when I would do my jumps. This was something I thought that I did not do well at the first meet.”

She was just barely off of her personal best mark of 5’8 feet. She said, “My goal is to get 5’10 at the national meet. So I would like to get a 5’9 jump at the conference meet. But, for now I am happy with my performance today.”

The 4X100 relay team placed fourth with a time of 48.52 seconds. Which was ran in order by  Ashlee Wenrick, biochemistry junior , Kayla Wilson, business sophomore, Christina Myers, biology sophomore , and anchored by Taylor Needham, biochemistry freshman.

The 4X400 relay team got fourth place with a time of 4:03.6 minutes. Which was ran in order by Wenrick, Needham, Myers, and Allie Maffei, psychology senior .

Other notables on the ladies side wasNeedham, who took second in the 400 meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.  Wilson also had another first place finish in the long jump with a distance of 5.63 meters. She also took fifth place in the 100 meter dash with a time of 12.47 seconds. Sophomore Kara Kolar took fourth in the long jump with a distance of 5.23m.

On the men’s side Craig Lantz, video game production freshman, threw a personal best and fifth place finish in the discus throwing event with a distance of 39.01 meters. He said, “I was very happy with my throw today. I gave a little fist pump whenever I heard the distance that I had thrown. I knew that my hard work over spring break with my high school coach had paid off.”

He also finished seventh in the shot put throwing event with a distance of 13.13 meters. He said, “My goal is just to improve each meet. If I can throw just a little bit further every time then I will be happy with the results.”

Coach Kirkland sees the potential in Lantz. He said, “Craig has tremendous potential as just a freshman here. He truly has a chance to become something special if he continues the hard work. He took home a discus over the break and it really showed at this meet with his throws.”

Another notable for the men’s side was Weston Lavington, accounting freshman  , who took fifth place in the triple jump event with a mark of 12.76 meters.

The Builders next meet is on Friday at Cowley College. Kirkland said, “Each week moving forward becomes a little bit more important. We just need to continue to get better each meet and compete as a team and individually. If we do that, we will be ready for the conference meet in six weeks.”

Jacob Jimmerson is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email him at jacob.jimmerson@sckans.edu