Sara Peck, biology sophomore, and Melissa Roetzer, biology senior, opened the match day playing together in the doubles. Peck and Roetzer received first as the Lady Threshers served first. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

(File Photo) Sara Peck, biology sophomore, and Melissa Roetzer, biology senior, opened the match day on April 6 playing together in the doubles. Peck and Roetzer received as the Lady Threshers served first. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

The Lady Builder Tennis team avenged their loss to Ottawa University earlier this season Monday afternoon in Ottawa. The team slid by the Lady Braves 5-4 to win their first conference meet of the season.

The men’s team was not as successful, falling to Ottawa 8-1. Their lone win came in No. 6 singles where Hollace Dillon, freshman, beat Ottawa’s Brad Bleich, senior, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.

The Lady Builders swept Ottawa in the doubles matches. Melissa Roetzer, senior, and Sarah Peck, sophomore, dominated No. 1 doubles over Ottawa’s Madeline Bellew, freshman, and Danika Good, freshman, 8-1. Abby Gengler, sophomore, and Kelsey Smith, sophomore, knocked off Michelle Westerman, freshman, and Ellen Agnew, freshman, in No. 2 doubles 8-6. In No. 3 doubles, Hayley Fort, junior, and Tyler Harrell, junior, sneaked by Ottawa’s Kimisha Peterson, freshman, and Bekka Bailey, freshman, 9-8 (8-6 tiebreaker).

Southwestern came away with two wins in singles. Smith won a competitive match with Westerman in -No. 2 singles 7-5, 3-6, 6-4. Haley Porter, freshman, beat Bailey 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 6 singles match. Roetzer fell to Bellew in No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-3. Peterson knocked off Peck 6-4, 6-1 in No. 3 singles. Agnew beat Gengler in No. 4 singles 6-2, 6-2, and Good won over Harrell in the third set of No. 5 singles 7-5, 1-6, 6-4.

The tennis team’s next meet takes place at 3 p.m. Thursday in McPherson against the Bulldogs.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu