Kyle Hernandez

The Southwestern Softball team went 1-1 in the double-header against Cowley Community College on Tuesday in Arkansas City. The Builders showed extraordinary resilience against Cowley and won the first game 13-6 but lost the second game 1-5.

Amber Good, head softball coach, loves seeing the players come together and watching them succeed as their hard work pays off in the games. “Their success makes me want to work so much more for them,” said Good.

Her excitement is expressed through the competition that they are faced with. Good is particularly impressed with the freshman and is ready to see what they can do. With the builders hitting the ball and putting it into play, Good feels that the hitting could be a little more consistent, hoping that it will become inevitable.

Mary Reilly, team captain and catcher for the team, had a rough day, but did get a couple great hits. She keeps motivated throughout games by reminding herself of all the opportunities she’s had. She enjoys just being a part of the team and loves all the hard work and dedication of the others.

Maecy Charleston, right fielder, had an impressive first game and wasn’t too enthused about the second game. “You win some, you lose some,” said Charleston. She stays motivated through the support from her dad and her uncle. Charleston considers the team family from the way they all have each other’s backs.

Tuesday’s game was the last one until it picks back up in the spring.

Kyle Hernandez is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kyle.hernandez@sckans.edu.