Alejandra Rojas

The men’s soccer team didn’t let a goal go through as they defeated Sterling College 3-0 Wednesday during their second conference match. The Builder’s are currently 1-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

“Since we lost to Friends, we knew we had to step it up and get a win,” said Edgar Gonzaga, freshman midfielder. “I expected Sterling to be a lot stronger than us, but I know we worked harder to get those early goals and by keeping possession of the ball.”

Padraig Poland, junior forward, scored twice within the first 15 minutes of the first half. Later Gonzaga completed to put the Builder’s above by scoring the last goal of the game.

“I got two goals in the first 15 minutes, which was a great start,” said Poland. “It’s about time I got a goal with all the shots I’ve taken. It felt good to win, but we have to continue to try harder at practice.”

Gonzaga said it felt great to score against the Warriors because this was his first goal in conference.

The Builder’s will travel to Bethany College on Oct. 9 for their third conference match up.

“As for the next game,” said Gonzaga, “Bethany is going to come out hard and want to do their thing, but we are not going to back down. We want it more and I can by our attitude and confidence.”

Poland said he believes every team the Builders will face are going to work hard and be physical.

“I believe every win is a stepping stone to success and I know we have players and coaches who are going to work hard and improve,” said Poland.

Alejandra Rojas is senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.