Alejandra Rojas

The only thing the men’s soccer team can look to do is focus on the next match, as the Builders prepare to pull a win for their next match up against Manhattan Christian College, Tuesday.

Although the team wasn’t successful during an away game versus Mid America Christian University, where the Moundbuilders lost 3-1, Saturday, head coach, Ruben Sanchez said he believes the team has made improvements.

“I think we played much better,” he said. “We made a couple of mistakes that cost us, but I was pretty pleased with how we kept our heads in the game.”

Ruben also said during practice the team will work harder and look to prepare for their next match up.

“We will focus on more game-like situations during practice,” said Ruben. “We are a young team with a lot of freshman starters, so this will help the team gel together.”

Karlo Sanchez, freshman forward, scored the lone goal for the Builders. He said he feels the team did well despite the couple of mistakes, which cost the team the loss.

“We need to work on our act. I felt we defended a lot,” Karlo said. “I expect us to have more ball possession and take more shots on goal for our next game.”

Jordan Silerio-Rivas, sophomore forward, said he felt the team didn’t come out to play a good first half, but improved during the second half.

“We need to keep playing together,” he said. “During the first five minutes of the half, during the first five minutes of the second half and during the five minutes after we score.”

Overall, Ruben said the next game will be a mental challenge.

“If we can sustain playing well throughout the game, we will do better,” said Ruben.

Alejandra Rojas is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.