Builder struggles continued versus the Sterling College Warriors Saturday. They lost to the Warriors 31-3. They fall to 1-3 on the season and 1-2 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The biggest surprise of the game was that Brady May, junior quarterback, started the game for the Builders. “We just liked what we saw in practice this week from him,” said Ken Crandall, head coach.

It looked good to start as the Builders took the opening kick-off down the field and got a field goal going up 3-0.

The Warriors went on to score 14 unanswered points before going into the half. The score at half time was 14-3 Warriors.

The score was the same after the third quarter ended, 14-3.

The offense continued to struggle. The offense had a total of 232 yards, compared to the 465 total yards of the Warriors.

May’s first start did not go as the Builder coaches planned. He completed nine of 19 passes for 91 yards and threw two interceptions.

The running game continued to be successful lead by Corey Holbert, senior running back, who had 123 yards on 18 carries. He did have one fumble late in the game. Cass Myers, senior running back was banged up and didn’t run much, only 12 yards on five carries.

The defense continued to play well until the fourth quarter, when they ran out of steam. They forced three turnovers in the game, two fumbles and an interception. They were on the field for much of the game.

The defense was lead by Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker. He had 29 tackles in the game for the Builders. “We need to work on tackling on the upcoming week, we had guys to the ball just no one to finish the play, if I would have tackled better I could have had 40 tonight,” said Tazkargy.

The Builders look to turn things around with their upcoming home game Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. versus Haskell Indian Nations University.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.