Managing editor

Brett Giesen, senior running back, racked up 312 yards on the ground to lead the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes over the Builder 35-17 Saturday at Richard L. Jantz Stadium. Giesen had touchdown runs of 19 and 57 yards as the Coyotes improve to 6-3 overall and 6-1 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. Southwestern falls to 4-5 and 3-4 in the KCAC.

The Builder defense started hot when Lorenzo Fouts, junior defensive back, intercepted a pass from Trey Dallas, junior quarterback, on Kansas Wesleyan’s first drive. After the ensuing drive stalled, Chris Mayer, junior kicker, knocked in a 17- yard field goal to put the Builder up 3-0.

The Coyotes responded with 28 unanswered points, including a six play, 70-yard drive on the next series capped off with a 19-yard touchdown run by Giesen.

JaLil Turner, senior running back, capped off another long drive early in the second quarter for the Coyotes with a one-yard touchdown run to make the score 14-3. Giesen wrapped up the first half scoring with an electrifying 57-yard touchdown run with 2:45 remaining.

The Builders did not put up a touchdown until the fourth quarter when Tyler Crandall, freshman quarterback, found Joe Vargas, junior wide receiver, in the back of the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown pass. The score narrowed the lead to 28-10, but Crandall threw a costly interception on the Builder’s next drive that gave the Coyotes a short field. Kansas Wesleyan drove 20 yards in three plays following the turnover and scored on a 16-yard touchdown pass from Dallas to Zach McClain, junior wide receiver.

Crandall scored on a three-yard touchdown run with 3:21 remaining in the game to make the score 35-17, but the Coyotes ran out the rest of the clock for the win,.

Southwestern sustained several long drives deep into Kansas Wesleyan territory throughout the game, but failed to take advantage. A missed field goal, a blocked field goal and a Crandall interception in the red zone all cost the Builders points.

Crandall did have a good game in his first career start, leading the Builders in rushing with 88 yards on 21 carries and completing 11 of 21 for 118 yards and a touchdown.

The Builders return to Richard L. Jantz Stadium at 1:30 p.m. next Saturday to face the Tabor College Bluejays. It is the final home game of the season for Southwestern.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.