Managing Editor

Branden Davis, senior linebacker, tackles a Friends player during the Homecoming game. The Builders won, 32-21. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Ken Crandall, head football coach, got his first career win over the Friends University Falcons on a drizzly homecoming afternoon Saturday. The Builders shutout Friends in the second half for a 32-21 win at Richard L. Jantz Stadium.

Southwestern drew first blood off an electrifying 64-yard touchdown pass from Jordan Barrett, senior quarterback, to Ceth Bannister, junior wide receiver.  The score was off of the Builder’s first offensive drive at the 9:40 mark in the first quarter.

With the wind at their back, the Builders drove 57 yards in five plays, capped off by a Jacobi Johnson, freshman running back, one-yard touchdown run to give the Builders a two-score lead.

Friends scored 21 unanswered points in the second quarter. Two of those scores were off of Builder miscues on punt snaps that created short fields for the Friends offense. The Falcons went into the locker rooms at halftime with a 21-14 lead.

The Builders responded with a touchdown on their opening possession of the second half, but Chris Mayer, junior kicker’s, extra point was blocked, putting the Builders down one point.

Southwestern scored 12 unanswered in the fourth quarter to seal the game. Barrett tossed both touchdowns, giving him four touchdowns passes in the game.

The Builders move to 3-2 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference with the win and 4-3 overall, tying them with Friends. They will play next at the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.