By Garrett Chapman

DST_1084

Playing their first game at home, the Builders fell to Peru State, 44-21. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Coming up short on a 44-21 score line against Peru State, the Builders hope to improve their miscues for the games that follow.

It was a close game going into halftime. Peru State’s scoring drive at the end of the half opened the flood gates for their offense.

Ken Crandall, head coach, said, “It was a fourth down play at the end of the second quarter. The quarter back scrambled and punched it in. We got punched in the face and didn’t respond.”

The Builders defense played great coming up with three turnovers. The offense failed to capitalize on these opportunities.

“Execution, the defense gave us plenty of opportunities early in the game and we just couldn’t capitalize. It would’ve been a different ball game if we got some points off those turnovers,” said Joseph Vargas, senior wide receiver.

The players and coaches are keeping their heads up. Looking forward to next week’s conference game, the team has goals that this loss won’t obstruct.

Lorenzo Fouts, senior defensive back, said, “Next week marks conference and that’s what we came here to do, take conference. All of our goals are still achievable just have to get back to what we do and our gameplay.”

Come watch the Builders take on Kansas Wesleyan at 6 p.m. on Sep. 14 at Jantz Stadium.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu