Michael Haynes Jr., freshman running back, runs the ball up the field after a hand off from Sophomore quarterback Brady May. The Builders topped the Spires of St. Mary 40-31. (Carly Budd/Collegian photographer)

By Bria Boykins

The Builder football team got their third win for the season against the University of St. Mary Spires Saturday at home. After a lost against Friends University, the Builders pulled together to defeat the Spires. Although there were many flags thrown by the referees, the builders stood their ground and ended with a victory.

“Any time there is more than 500 yards in offense, it’s a good game. We got to play the special teams and that created opportunities to score more points,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach.

With the Builders leading, the defense did have a struggling moment in the third quarter when the game was 33-31, but the Builders pulled it together and the defense stopped the Spires from gaining many yards, forcing Mike Keese, junior quarterback, to throw two incomplete passes and an interception to Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker.

Southwestern seemed to have a better attitude coming into the game against University of St. Mary.

“We fought through adversity and we were sound in all three phases of the game. I think we did a good job in executing the nickel formation defending the pass play,” said Terrance Royals, senior defensive back.

Southwestern played hard through all four quarters. The Spires did manage to break through the defense and put up points, but the Builders managed to stay ahead of the game.

“The passing game opened up very well today. We were able to give Brady May time to throw and he was able to showcase his passing and running ability” said Corey Holbert, senior running back.

The Builders were able to show spectators that they have potential to win. As an end result, the game gave the Builders hope to win again against Kansas Wesleyan at 1:30 p.m. Saturday in Salina.

Bria Boykins is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at bria.boykins@sckans.edu.