By Lauren Sieh

As an avid historical drama watcher, I can tell within the first 10 minutes of a show or movie if I am going to continue to watch or not. “Bridgerton” is one of the few shows that I have observed in one sitting.

“Bridgerton” is based on the novel “The Duke and I” by Julia Quinn. It takes place in the early 1900s London and revolves around the nine membered Bridgerton family, especially the eight siblings. It follows the eldest sister, Daphne Bridgerton, played by Phoebe Dynevor, as she debuts into high society for the first time.

For those of you that might not know what it means to debut in high society, it means you are eligible for marriage. Not everyone gets married after they debuted in their first season. However, Daphne is seen as the most suitable lady of the season; even Queen Charlotte, played by Golda Rosheuvel, declared it.

The story also follows the most eligible bachelor and newly named Duke of Hastings Simon Basset, played by RegĂ©-Jean Page, as he returns to London after a long time due to his father’s death. From when we first meet the Duke, we already know that he does not wish to marry.

Another key player in the story is Lady Whistledown, voiced by Julie Andrews. Although we never see her, which is a mystery in itself, she helps narrative the story and even causes a commotion when her gossip columns come out, technically recounting all that had happened in the high society for the week.

When looking for a historical drama to watch, there needs to be a good balance of drama, romance and history. “Bridgerton” does an excellent job of combining these aspects.

There are so many scandals and drama in one episode, and it feels like you have watched three. Most of the drama is caused by Lady Whistledown, but some within the family that Whistledown can’t even predict.

As much as “Bridgerton” is drama packed in every episode, romance is its rival. I do not think I have ever watched a show where I get butterflies at every romantic gesture that happens.

If you not a fan of the mushy-gushy romantic scenes and more of a fan of steamy scenes, you won’t be disappointed. You will have to wait a couple of episodes before the real raunchy scenes start.

History is portrayed fairly well in “Bridgerton.” Although not very accurate and don’t see any historical events, we have to remember that historical dramas are usually fiction.

“Bridgerton” does an excellent job as a period piece. The period’s fashion is fairly accurate, although you probably would not see such bright colors during the early 1900s.

One other thing that we do not see in many historical dramas is a diverse cast. The diversity in “Bridgerton” is astonishing. Having the Duke of Hastings be black is not something that you would see in the period that it is depicting.

Not only the Duke but Queen Charlotte herself. I think a diverse cast in historical shows and movies is something we might see more of soon.

If you are a fan of period dramas or romantic dramas, “Bridgerton” is a must-see. Don’t worry if you finish it in one sitting as I did, Netflix will be releasing season two sometime this year.