Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer

According to the Nutrition Care Division of the Martin Army Hospital, skipping breakfast causes blood sugars to drop, fatigue, poor concentration, irritability and lethargy.

All these negative effects may make one wonder why anyone would skip breakfast. The U.S. Department of Agriculture released a study in 1998 stating that “The percentage of young people who eat breakfast decreases with age.” It seems that students usually eat breakfast when it fits in with their schedule. Katy Buffum, accounting freshman, said, “It depends on if I get up in time or not and if I’m hungry at that point.”

Andrew Brown, physical education freshman, said, “On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have chocolate milk and a Nutrigrain bar. That’s about it. It works with my schedule to go to the Java Jinx.”

This knowledge isn’t new. Matthew Mehl, physical education freshman, said, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it gives you energy.”

Some students on campus love breakfast and have very a strict morning routine. David Bates, psychology sophomore, said, “Everyday I eat two biscuits with gravy and three eggs, a full cup of water, and a half cup of chocolate milk. I’m serious about my breakfast, alright?”

Other students are more relaxed about what they eat in the mornings. Julia Faust, musical theatre freshman, said, “I had a cupcake for breakfast the other day. It happens.”

The other issue surrounding breakfast is when it can be eaten. Breakfast is occasionally served for dinner in the cafeteria. Late night trips to IHOP find students eating pancakes at 1 a.m. Buffum said, “I think you can eat breakfast for dinner. I don’t think breakfast for lunch is acceptable.”

Can breakfast be eaten at any time of day, Brown said, “No. That’s the stupidest question I ever heard. It can be eaten from 6 to 10 in the morning. That’s breakfast.”

Not everyone agrees. Colton McNinch, biochemistry freshman, said, “It’s super tasty and rules can be broken if it’s super tasty.”

Favorite breakfast items included cereals like Captain Crunch and Honey Nut Cheerios, biscuits and gravy, and full meals including bacon and eggs, sausage, pancakes, and French toast.

When choosing your fare, Brown recommends eating on the healthier side. “It’s a proven fact that an apple wakes people up twice as fast as coffee,” he said.

Many skip this important meal, but breakfast isn’t something to be taken lightly. Wieland said, “So breakfast equals happiness. Why would we want to make that a thing of the past?”

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.

Edited by Paige Carswell.