By Caitlin Dyck

The word ‘tradition’ holds many different meanings in the world, especially during times of celebration and holiday. For our country, Thanksgiving is a tradition celebrated as a time to give thanks to those that have impacted us and given us things to be thankful for.

“It is a time to come together to celebrate your blessings, give back and be grateful,” said Mariam Mamah, biology junior.

“Thanksgiving is a time to eat a lot of good food, spend time with your family and be thankful for the things in your life,” said Brittney Chamberlin, biology senior.

Every year the Winfield Ministerial Alliance celebrates Thanksgiving with a worship service for the Winfield community and anyone who wants to attend. “This is a long term tradition that we always had the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we have been doing it since the early 1940’s,” said Rev. Allen Polen, president of the Ministerial Alliance. This year’s service is at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at First Presbyterian Church on 11th and Millington.

This year the Ministerial Alliance has chosen a bluegrass theme that offers joyous music of celebration for this time of year. The service will include three guitarists, an autoharp and a mandolin. Ned Graham, Phil Moorman, and Tim Harlan will be the guitarists, Ida Finley plays the autoharp, and Jerry Norton plays the mandolin. “Winfield is Bluegrass Country. We wanted to make it a bluegrass Thanksgiving this year and not have a sermon. Usually it’s the new kid on the block’s turn to give a sermon, which would have been Tim Harlan, but he and I came up with the idea to just have some great music and prayer this year. We hope people are ‘thankful’ there is no sermon and will come out and enjoy themselves,” said Rev. Polen.

Caitlin Dyck is a senior majoring in general communication. You may e-mail her at caitlin.dyck@sckans.edu.