By Thomas Noble

Polina Dyadic, Southwestern College Alumni, donating blood for the sixth time. (Thomas Noble/Collegian photographer).

The Oct. 18 blood drive at Pound’s Lounge was a success. The goal of the drive was to receive 35 units of blood and the final total ended up being 42 units.

The blood drive was operated by the Southwestern College Athletic Training Society in cooperation with the American Red Cross.
The drive was a bustling center of activity the entire day as many students, faculty and Winfield residents came to give blood.

This was the sixth blood drive that Southwestern College alumni, Polina Dyadic donated blood. Dyadyk said, “I think it is helpful and it makes me feel useful.”

Lisa Braun, Director of Athletic Training education, helped coordinate the event. Braun said, “I want to help others as much as I can and this seems like an easy way to do it.”

Braun helped gather volunteers along with recruiting donors.  Along with athletic trainers working the blood drive, additional members of Southwestern College Athletic Trainers Society also helped with the lengthy process.

Tiffany Rodgers, athletic training senior, is the president of SCATS. “It is really important that we as students participate in helping out the community,” said Rogers.

Thomas Noble is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Thomas.Noble@sckans.edu.