Katie Bipes, senior midfielder, fends off a player during action this season. Bipes was named a Champion of Character. (Carly Budd/Collegian photographer)

By Morgan Givney

Katie Bipes, senior midfielder for the women’s soccer team, and Taylor Kinnamon, senior middle for the volleyball team, have been awarded

Taylor Kinnamon, business administration senior, prepares for the serve during action eariler this season. Kinnamon called being named a Champion of Character a "humbling" experience. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Champion of Character award. This award acknowledges student-athletes who display qualities of leadership, good sportsmanship, responsibility and respect.

“I was honored. It was really cool just because not a lot of people recognize athletes for their sportsmanship and character,” said Bipes, psychology senior, about her feelings on receiving the award. She has a good understanding on how to be a respectable athlete, while remaining competitive. “As a captain, I just try to be someone who you want on your team. It’s really important for me to be a good sport and realize that it’s a competition, but not take it too seriously,” said Bipes. Along with being a captain for the team, Bipes is a member of Pi Gamma Mu, involved in Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and serves as a resident assistant in Cole Hall.

Kinnamon, business administration senior, is a member of the women’s volleyball team, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Student Ambassadors, track and field, and serves as a resident assistant in Cole Hall. She describes that she was very excited when she learned she had been named a recipient of the Champion of Character award, and that it was humbling for her. “We went through a lot and had to push through a lot of adversity,” said Kinnamon.

“Katie and Taylor are both great people to be around, and are good examples of how to be a respectable student athlete,” said Rachel Bush, English freshman, and resident of Cole.

Morgan Givney is a freshman with an undecided major. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu.