Sports editor

Madeline Chapin, biology junior, runs as part of her daily exercise. Chapin runs every day for at least 30 minutes. She is captain of the Lady Builders soccer team and also participates in the cross-country team. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer).

Balancing school and sports can be a challenge. Madeline Chapin, biology junior, not only keeps focused on school, but she participates in two different sports. She plays soccer for the Lady Builders and runs on the cross-country team. Chapin earned eight awards –six for soccer and two for cross-country – last fall.

Chapin said, “I feel extremely honored to receive those awards. I could not have done it without the support of my family, teammates, friends, teachers, coaches, and that goofball Colton McNinch.”

“Maddie is a great person with strong moral compass,” said Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach. “She sets a wonderful example of a true student-athlete. She excels in the classroom, on the soccer field, and the cross-country course.”

Chapin was named Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Scholar-Athlete in women’s soccer and cross-country.

“The support from everyone in my life is a great motivator,” said Chapin. “This school is filled with coaches, faculty, friends, and peers who are constantly encouraging you to do your best. They are always there to give you advice and support.”

She grabbed the Daktronics National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Scholar-Athlete mention and was also announced in the College Sports Information Directors of America Capital One Academic All-Region selection for soccer.

In addition to that, Chapin achieved KCAC Champion of Character and KCAC Honorable Mention in cross-country.

“Cross-country was an entirely new experience for me, but it was an amazing one. The adrenaline that overcame my body and mind stepping up to the starting line was really something,” said Chapin. “My main focus besides being extremely nervous and scared was to just try and stay with one of the girls.”

Jim Helmer, head cross-country coach, said, “She is an incredible young lady, quality soccer player, talented, and a really tough competitor.”

Helmer explained Chapin did not attend cross-country practices because of the conflicts with her soccer schedule. “She came out to the races, without training along with us, and was all-conference runner,” said Helmer. “She brought maturity and stability to the team, making us more complete.”

Chapin ran three events for the Lady Builders. She participated in Oklahoma State University Jamboree on Sept. 29 ending with a time of 22:27.87. On Oct. 20, she ran a 20:32.15 during the NAIA Mid-States Classic. Her last race was the KCAC Championships in which she obtained a time of 21:10.

Cori Hunt, business marketing junior, is Chapin’s cross-country teammate. “She made a priority to be part of our team and compete to her best ability even if she had a soccer game the next day,” said Hunt. “She was a great addition to the team in all areas.”

The Lady Builder’s No. 12 not only acquired those six awards, but she also made it to the KCAC women’s soccer first team, and finished as the Lady Builders’ soccer most valuable player. She plays center-back defense and acts one of the team captains.

Wood said, “Maddie is hardworking, determined, and disciplined. She brings leadership, integrity, and athleticism to the team.”

This is not Chapin’s first year to be in the conference first team. She repeated it from last year when she was included in the list.

“She is a hard worker who is well deserving of the honors and awards she has received. She is a disciplined individual who will have a number of great accomplishments throughout her lifetime,” said Wood.

It is also the third straight year Chapin is named the Lady Builders soccer team MVP.

Alyson Sparkman, psychology senior, has been playing next to Maddie for two years. “It has been an overall amazing experience with Maddie. She not only embodies what every student athlete should resemble, but she is also a genuine caring teammate,” said Sparkman.

“Before the whistle blows in every game, the team comes together, and we give each other words of encouragement. I try and think of any other possible way I can help our team be successful whether I focus on me personally or the team,” said Chapin.

Chapin concluded the soccer season with 19 appearances, three goals, and two assists. She helped the Lady Builders reach the championship game, something that had never happened in the women’s soccer school history.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.