By Katie Vorderstrasse

Do you own a pair of running shoes and want to help a good cause? If so come out and support children with cystic fibrosis and spina bifida in “Race for the Kids.”

This event will take place April 1 at Island Park, which is 2.8 miles away from campus. The races taking place are the one-mile walk, five-kilometer run or 400-yard fun run. Registration begins at 1:30 p.m., and the races begin at 2:00 p.m. There is a ten dollar registration fee at which you can pre-register at www.sckans.edu/raceforthekids.

Christy Rude, early childhood education senior, said, “Prizes will be awarded to each of first through third placements of the 5K and one-mile races. Gift cards will also be awarded for first and second place runners in both the 5K and one-mile, and raffle tickets will be sold for a chance to win gift certificates to other businesses.”

Rude is a member in Discipleship and is in charge of this event for her senior project. She originally had the idea her freshman year. “I have a deep connection to the illness because my eight-year-old cousin has been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. I am very much a family person and I love my cousins, so I felt like maybe there was something that I could do to help out,” said Rude. With time the idea became a reality.

This is the second year the event has taken place. Lucas McConnell, philosophy and religious studies senior, participated in the 5K run last year. “I hope that with the second year of this event more people will come out capitalize on an opportunity to not only fight the general element of cystic fibrosis and spina bifida and support those community members that may be impacted by it,” said McConnell. This year he will helping with the concession stand.

“This year, I hope to top last year’s participation. Last year we raised $700 and this year I hope to raise $1000 to be distributed between the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Spina Bifida Association,” said Rude.

Katie Vorderstrasse is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at katie.vorderstrasse@sckans.edu.