Brett Bates, senior guard, makes a move around a Lady Spire defender Thursday night in Stewart Field House. Bates hit a shot with five seconds remaining to push the Lady Builders past the University of Saint Mary 93-91 in overtime. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

Brett Bates, senior guard, sealed the deal Thursday night, hitting a shot with five seconds remaining in the Lady Builder’s game against the University of Saint Mary. The Lady Spires could not get a shot off before the buzzer sounded and Southwestern prevailed 93-91 in overtime.

Bates led all scorers with 26 points, hitting eight of 15 shots from the field and eight of nine from the line.

The win keeps the team unbeaten in conference play and allows them to keep place in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference with Kansas Wesleyan and Friends University.

The game was a constant back and forth battle. The Lady Builders led going into halftime by a slim margin of 37-34. Saint Mary kept pace the entire game and forced overtime with the score knotted up at 79.

Southwestern caught fire early in overtime, forcing three consecutive turnovers and building an 88-83 lead. The Lady Spires came storming back and tied the game again with 21 seconds remaining, setting up Bates’s game-winning shot.

Both teams flourished in the paint, scoring 135 total points. The Lady Builders capitalized off of errors, outscoring the Lady Spires 23-7 in points off of turnovers and 21-0 in fast break opportunities.

Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, put up 14 points and Kristy Herman, junior guard, and Annjelina Robinson, junior guard, both had 10 points for the team.

The next game for the Lady Builders will be at 5 p.m. Saturday at Friends University.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.