File photo: Brett Bates, senior guard, calls a signal against the University of Saint Mary ealier this season. Bates earned NAIA All-American honors for the 2011-2012 season. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

Brett Bates, senior guard, has been named All-American second team in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. The NAIA 2012 Division II Women’s Basketball All-American team players are selected by the All-American Committee.

Bates is the third Lady Builder in the history to be named in the All-American team. She was named Honorable Mention All-American in the 2011 season.

The 5’6 senior guard from Hobart, Okla played for two years with the Builders. Bates scored 983 career points during her time being a Lady Builder. This leaves her as the 11th Lady Builder in the scoring list. Bates also averaged 17.5 points per game, which is 21st place in the NAIA scoring average list. She holds the fifth place for free-throw percentage nationally with 87.1 percent.

Bates received Player of the year award from the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference after leading the conference in regular season scoring. She was also named All KCAC first-team after helping the Lady Builders to finish 23-9 record overall and 15-3 in the KCAC conference and getting a bid to the national tournament.

In two years, Bates was All-American twice, two times All-KCAC First Team selection, the KCAC new-comer of the year in the 2010-11 season, and KCAC Player of the Year in the 2011-12 season. Bates was also named Player of the Week by the NAIA two times in a row.

Bates is the only Builder in the four mentions. Chelsea Harris, junior guard, from Bethel Lady Threshers, and Bates are the only Kansas school representatives at the mentions. Harris was honorable mention.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.