It is the third week in a row that the Southwestern College men’s basketball team has been in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Top 25 Coaches’ poll. The men’s basketball team was ranked Jan. 9, Jan. 16, and Jan. 23. The Builders have a record of 18-3 overall, and 8-2 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

On Jan. 9, the Builders were ranked 16th. On the following week’s poll they were located in the 14th spot. For the week of Jan. 23, the Builders fell to 18th in the polls.

“We feel good about our program at a national level,” said Matt O’Brien, head men’s basketball coach. “Our main goal is to get closer and better as a team every day, our destination is the KCAC championship.”

This is the first time since the 2007-08 season that the Builders earned a ranking. The last time the Builders were in the top 25 was in Dec. 5, 2007. They were in the ranked 19th that season.

“We definitely get everyone’s best shot most teams are excited about playing their best when they have the opportunity to play a nationally ranked team,” said O’Brien.

The Builders will continue their schedule on Jan. 26 when they play against Sterling, and on Jan. 28 against the University of Saint Mary.

The Women’s Basketball team is as well ranked for the third consecutive week in the Coaches’ Top 25 poll. The Lady Builders have been ranked the weeks of Jan. 9, Jan. 16, and Jan.23.

“It is an honor to be ranked in the top 25 for three consecutive weeks.  It shows that the hard work of our team has paid off with some national recognition for our program and for Southwestern College,” said David Denly, head women’s basketball coach.

The Lady Builders have a record of 15-5 overall and 9-1 in the KCAC conference.

For the week of Jan. 9, the Builders were awarded the 22nd place. The next week, Jan. 16, they were ranked in the 23rd place.

“I am very pleased with the progress of our team this season,” said Denly. “They are great group of young ladies to work with on a daily basis.  I could not be prouder of them, I think we have a great opportunity this year to find sustained success”

They are currently ranked 16th and have two games this week. The Lady Builders will play on Jan. 26 against Sterling and on Jan. 28 against University of Saint Mary.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.