The Lady Builders arrived at Lee Arena in Topeka for an exhibition game against Washburn University on Nov. 17. The Lady Blues are currently No. 11 in the preseason rankings for NCAA Division II. Unfortunately, the game did not go as scripted for the Lady Builders with the final score being 108-60.

“I felt that we played very hard in our game against Washburn,” said Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach. “We learned a lot about our competitiveness in the game and grew as a team.”

The game got off to a start with the Lady Blues taking a 15-4 run against the Lady Builders. Even though the score did not go in the Builders favor, they still remained tough throughout the remaining half. Washburn took the lead going into the second half 58-28.

Coming out of the locker room, the Builders would never give in. They played till the very last buzzer with their heads up, showing the crowd they could hang in there against a very skilled Division II team.

Teamwork would be the main component of the night with Brett Bates, senior guard, scoring 13 points to lead her team. Not far behind Bates, teammate Courtney Watson, sophomore forward, followed close with 11 points, and Catherine Haikin, senior guard, and Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, scored 10 points apiece.

“The season has gotten off to a very inconsistent start for us,” said Denly. “It has not been what we wanted, but we have gotten better and are looking forward to the rest of the season. We still feel that we are going to be a contender for the KCAC title.”

On Nov. 19 at 6:00 p.m. the Lady Builders will arrive at Pittsburg State University to take on another very skilled Division II team.

Erica Dunigan is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may email her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.