Angel Velez, junior center, bombs the ball out of the park. Velez scored a home run in both games against Tabor. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Sterling Spurling, sophomore infielder, loses the race to first base. Spurling hit the ball to center field before getting out. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Tanner Olmstead, junior pitcher, whips the ball to the plate. Southwestern had eight pitchers between the two games. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Jason Bray, junior infielder, get a strike at the plate. The builders didn’t bat well at the plate in their first game against Tabor, scoring only one run. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)Sterling Spurling, sophomore infielder, throws the ball to first base from his infielder position. Spurling scored in the second game against Tabor. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff reporter)Taite Saldana, junior outfielder, meets his family inside the pit. The doubleheader against Tabor was also senior night for baseball. (Taylor Rodriguez/Staff photographer)

By Emily Braudaway

The Southwestern College baseball team lost to Tabor Bluejays 15-5 on senior day after four consecutive opposing home runs.

The game on April 24 was supposed to be a doubleheader, but due to weather, they changed to a single game and will play a doubleheader on April 25. The seniors were honored before first pitch.

In the first inning, the Builders got on the board first after an RBI bunt from Ethan White, junior infielder, to bring home Cody Carpenter, senior outfielder to make it 1-0 Builders.

The second inning would prove to be costly to the Builder as the Bluejays scored eight runs, including two home runs that scored five of them to make it 8-1 Bluejays.

The Builders responded with a home run from Carpenter along with scoring in Ryan Wilson, junior outfielder, making it 8-3 Bluejays after the second inning.

In the third inning, Austin Jentzsch, sophomore pitcher, only allowed one hit as neither the Bluejays or the Builders did not score.

In the fourth inning, the Bluejays scored another home run to make it 9-3 Bluejays. The Builders could not produce offensively.

In the fifth inning, the Bluejays would score three runs on the Builders, making it 12-3.

In the sixth inning, the Builders were able to score two runs as that made it 12-5, being the last runs they would score.

In the seventh inning, the Bluejays scored their fourth and final home run of the game scoring two runs, making it 14-5.

In the eighth inning, neither team was able to score.

In the ninth inning, the Bluejays were able to score one more run to make it 15-5.

Kevin Frady, head coach of baseball, said, “I was hopping we could put on a better performance for our seniors going out this way with all their families that were there. Just disappointed.”

The baseball team will be back at it to finish the series with Tabor on April 25. First pitch is slated at 1 p.m. with the second game shortly to follow after the first game. Games will be played at Broadway Sports Complex in Winfield.