By Maggie Collett

From crunchy leaves to candy corn to crisp mornings, the elements of fall are starting to appear. Along with these autumn basics comes Halloween. The holiday falls on a Sunday night, but there are activities all weekend.

On Oct. 28, International Club will be trick-or-treating in the dorms. Students will hang up a sign on their door if trick-or-treaters are welcome. “We’ll have treats in the Campus Life office,” said Lai-L Clemons, director of campus life.

Jessica Schaal, philosophy and religious studies junior, chairs the social committee. She planned the annual service learning organization Halloween party.  
 “It’s a time for Leadership, Discipleship, and Green Team to get together in fellowship,” said Schaal.

A costume contest will be one activity at the party. Prizes will be awarded for scariest, most creative, and best couple/group. A pumpkin carving contest will take place and there will be a gypsy tent where Tarot Cards will be read. “We’ve been doing it for years,” said Schaal.

Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life, said, “Broadhurst is doing a Halloween decorating competition.” Participants can decorate doors and enter to win the contest.
 In the cafeteria sits a giant stuffed pumpkin. Students may enter the drawing to win it.

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.