Carter Green, owner and lead engineer at Green Jeans Studios shows off his mixing console in his studio at Wellington. The audio engineering class taught by Green has offer an insight to the technology of sound among students. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

By Blake Carter

Sound is usually taken for granted but not for the six students in the new Audio Engineering class being offered this semester. Students travel to Green Jean Studios in Wellington, for the course.

Members of the music department approached Martin Rude, director of outreach ministries, about increasing interest in an audio recording class. Rude said that he instantly thought of Carter Green, the producer and lead engineer at Green Jean Studios.

“I have worked with him for years on recording and when I knew we had students interested in this, I wanted them to learn from the best,” Rude said. “We have all kinds of new things coming that will need to be recorded thanks to the new Richardson.”

Green has been doing professional work for 15 years. His clients include ABC’s “One Tree Hill,” “What About Brian?,” “All My Children” and CBS’s “How I Met Your Mother.” Green said he started his music studio when people began coming to him asking for him to train them and use his equipment.

“People started flooding me to record. It became overwhelming trying to find space so I brought the building where the studio is now and I’ve been crazy busy ever since,” Green said.

Green said what he’s trying to do in this class is give the basic knowledge of microphones and sound in recording.

Audio Engineering is the first of a two course sequence. “This semester I really want them to understand how microphones work and how the physics and theory of sound affects the brain,” Green said.

While the class is hands-on, Green said that he wants to make sure that class understands all the theories of sound before putting them on the equipment.

“It’s just like that saying about learning to crawl before walking and walking before running, they have to learn all they can about all the science involved before being on the machines,” Green said. “There is no one button on the board that magically fixes all sound. All this comes from 100 little things you get learning all about the sound.”

Nick Hofmeister, new media junior, said he took the class to get more knowledge on audio engineering.

“I got in the class because I wanted to understand this industry better. I know my instrument and music that way but I want to know how this side of music works,” Hofmeister said. “It’s really amazing all the information we get from Carter Green. That man is just full of knowledge, and it’s why I have to take my recorder to every class to make sure I get all.”

Green said that he gets all this knowledge from all years of working with other producers, and while it can be difficult to say it all in a class period he hopes the students get as much out of as possible.

“It can be really hard to cram 15 years of experience in two semesters of school. I wish I had this opportunity that these guys have. It puts them 10 years ahead of the curve,” Green said. “This is really a class for people who are interested in a life like this, and for me this is why I do what I do, I love it.”

Blake Carter is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at blake.carter@sckans.edu.

Edited by Samantha Gillis.