By Kylie Stamper

Caitlin Hays, athletic training senior, gives blood during the annual blood drive hosted by the Athletic Training department. (Courtesy photo)

T-shirts, markers, and a $50 Wal-Mart gift card served as incentives for students, staff, and community members to make their way to the Blood Drive in Wroten Hall on Wednesday. The Athletic Training department hosted the event and has put it on for the past three to four years. The Nursing department hosted the blood drive for a number of years until then.

The Athletic Training department usually hosts the drive in the fall of each year but this year they decided to host one in the springtime in addition to the fall date.

Students from the Athletic Training program volunteered to help with the event.

Lisa Braun, director of athletic training education, said, “There’s not a lot that pertains to athletic training with a blood drive but it’s a good opportunity for them to volunteer. Some of our students also gave blood for the first time so that’s good.”

Braun said they collected 36 pints of blood between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Abby Warnke, business sophomore, was one of the donors and she donated blood for the first time at the event. Warnke needed to know her blood type before going on a mission trip to Costa Rica in May so she decided to find out during the drive. Warnke said, “I was super nervous because I’ve never done it before and I was nervous that I was going to pass out. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.”

Shawna Castano, psychology freshman, says it’s good to have the opportunity to give blood on campus rather than trying to find somewhere else and even paying to donate. Castano said, “It makes it easier and more convenient for the students and community to donate. More people are more likely to donate if they know when and where it is happening and if other people they know are also donating.”

Braun says the most important benefit that comes from blood drives is the awareness. She said, “You can volunteer your time to host it or you can volunteer your time by donating your blood and just understanding that it’s helping somebody else. It opens people’s eyes and they can see that they can have a positive influence on others.”

The next blood drive in Winfield will take place from 12-6 p.m. on May 14 at First United Methodist Church.

Kylie Stamper is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu