Hanna House

In 1881, The American Red Cross started saving lives through the thousands of donors who are willing to give up a unit of blood to help a neighbor in need.

The athletic training program is teaming up with the American Red Cross to bring a blood drive to campus.

“Southwestern brings the blood drive every year but this is the second year that the athletic training program has brought it,” said Lisa Braun, director of the athletic training education.

You may have noticed that giving back to the community is one of the key values of Southwestern College. In a sense, holding this blood drive helps do just that. “It just helps with community service,” said Jamiee Grinstaff, athletic training senior.

One of the goals of the athletic training program for this year is to match what they had last year.  In one unit, there is 450 milliliters of blood.

“Our goal is 42 units which is what we had last year,” said Braun.

“We really want to get all of the slots filled up,” said Caitlyn Hays, athletic training junior.

Those participating in the athletic training program are going to help in more ways than just one.

“A few of them will be donating. But they are all working the event in one way or another at a table or helping the people that are giving blood,” said Braun.

If you are 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds, you are able to donate on Sept. 18. contact Lisa Braun at 620-229-6226 or by email, lisa.braun@sckans.edu, to set up an appointment.

Hanna House is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at hanna.house@sckans.edu.