Graphic by Kansas Department of Health and Environment

By Raul Orozco

After a recent spike in COVID cases, it is only a matter of time until someone we know or love is hit by the virus.

Sela Anderson, business marketing sophomore, is one of the people on campus to be recently hit by the virus.

“My best friend is a football player and he tested positive. We’re together 24/7,” Anderson said.

Her symptoms didn’t show up until a couple of days later. Lock Schnelle, head athletic trainer, contacted Anderson to begin the process. She soon began her testing and isolation period after.

According to Schnelle, students are tested once initially and then they test again upon request. After Anderson tested positive, she requested to be tested three more times during that week, all three of the tests coming back negative.

“I was feeling horribly sick and I kept getting negative tests back. I didn’t know if I had COVID or something else,” said Anderson.

Afterwards, she proceeded to visit the hospital to get concrete answers. The hospital confirmed that Anderson tested positive for COVID.

Anderson said she found it relieving that she had some idea of what was going on now.

Schnelle said that the isolation period lasts 10 to 14 days depending on how the subject is feeling and on the severity of their symptoms. He also said that each case is different as each person can react differently.

Anderson’s isolation period wasn’t bad at first. It was just boredom in her room. While in isolation she received news of her grandmother’s passing.

Not being able to receive human contact or express her feelings with her family in person took a serious toll on her mental health.

Anderson’s family was concerned about her wellbeing. She says that they didn’t want to leave her alone especially during a family emergency.

Isolation only got worse for Anderson as she felt fatigued. On top of that, she found out that the virus affected her gastrointestinal system, a trait that only 1 in 6 people get. She had all the regular symptoms, in addition to throwing up.

Once she was let out of isolation, she didn’t feel the same.

“I didn’t even feel normal once I was let out of isolation. I was constantly fatigued to the max for weeks after I was let go.”

Anderson is part of the track team and she fears that the lasting effects of the virus will affect her negatively in both her training and future performances.

She now fears that she might contract it again. She has changed her routines and way of living as a result. She plans on staying in her room more often and limiting her contact with others.

“Getting a different strand of COVID really scares me honestly.”