By Lea Shores

It’s been three year’s since their last album, but Maroon 5 is back with their fresh, funk groove and sultry melodies. The group’s third album, “Hands All Over”, does not disappoint and the band is sure to pick up some new fans along the way. As always, front man Adam Levine’s vocals are irresistible and the lyrics are passionate.

The album’s first single “Misery” is a radio friendly sample of what is featured on the album. It does a good job of starting the album off with an upbeat song that is easy to sing along to, as are most of the songs on the album.

The third track, “Stutter”, is an understated, feel good, love song. Sure to be a hit, Levine sings, “You’re just a fantasy girl/in an impossible world/all I want is to be with you always.” He knows how to sing his way into the hearts of women. Men should take note for the text time there’s an opportunity for karaoke.

While Maroon 5 has never been given a parental advisory label, the content of their albums has always been very sexual. All of the songs have an element of this, but the title track, “Hands All Over,” really shows the darker, more sensual side of the band—though it’s not the most memorable track from the album.

The album is accompanied by several break-up ballads including “How,” “Just a Feeling,” and “Out of Goodbyes,” a duet with country group Lady Antebellum.

The best surprise on the new album is a live cover of Alicia Key’s “If I Ain’t Got You”. Levine’s vocals on this song are the icing on a perfectly constructed musical cake.

For those who purchase the album on iTunes, the bonus track “The Air that I Breathe” is filled with 70s’ soul.

The band’s new album came out without much recognition, though as the singles keep coming, they are sure to receive plenty of time on the radio. The album is a perfect mix of up-tempo tracks, sultry ballads, and acoustic covers.

If you are ready to break out of the cookie-cutter mold of today’s top 40, “Hands All Over” is a good place to start.

Lea Shores is a senior majoring in English. You may e-mail her at lea.shores@sckans.edu.